In my last post I expressed my love for this little country. Pretty much all of those feelings have changed in the past week. I still think Sri Lanka is as beautiful as can be, the people are still super friendly, and the food still delicious. The vibe is much different here this week though...I've been in a bad mood for about a week, but have tried not to let those negative feelings transfer onto this great country.
Our experience has not been quite what we expected. Wanting to visit friends from ARI and see their work, and that is what we have not done. instead, I've been sitting on my butt, sweating, and reading. oh, and feeling sorry for myself. all things that I could do from the comfort of my own home, for a much cheaper price!
The civil war situation in Sri Lanka, especially in Colombo, has gotten much more tense in the past week or so. Last friday Malte and I were making our way to the post office, and as soon as we stepped outside we both look at each other and say something a long the lines of somethings wrong today. It was so quiet and eerie. Then my mother called, saying your grandmother is in the ICU. So, I thought that was what the strange feeling was about. We got home though and I heard via email that there was a bus blast in colombo. I recently went by the site of the blast, which I had visited before the blast, and only after seeing shattered glass all over the street did it become a reality for me. The political scene here is not good. Lots of changes within the LTTE. Its been really difficult for us to get word of news and understand whats actually going on here. Ignorance is bliss, but at the same time Sri Lanka is not a good place to be completely unaware of what is going on around you.
THe past two days was the Vesak celebration. The holiday marks the day of Buddha's birth, enlightenment, and death. The streets are lined with lanterns and lights. Its like Christmas and easter, and the state fair. Its fun! My favorite part of the holiday is dansala. There are stops all along the road of people offering drinks and cookies to passing busses and cars. For lunch and dinner the communities get together to hand out rice and curry. I'm all about the free food! THe only thing that I didn't like about this is that Malte and I were escorted to the front of the enormous lines and get in without waiting. I felt so disgusting and elitist doing that, but whats done is done I guess.
Overall, things are good in Sri Lanka though. I'm safe and haven't melted to death yet! Looking forward to Indonesia, we leave on sunday!
Apa Yang Dimaksud Dengan Sabar
1 year ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment