CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

9.30.2013

It's only September (how?!) and I still have quite a few of my 101 goals for 1001 days, but I'm already thinking about New Years Resolutions.

In particular, I'm thinking a lot about further limiting my possessions.  I've been pretty good about watching what comes in and continuing to part with lots of things, but I feel like having a really large house has somehow allowed me to accumulate more items and not really realize how many since we still have so much space that's unused, or that I go great lengths of time without stepping foot in a room.  

Plus, we have begun the packing process and it's been very helpful for getting rid of more stuff.

What I'm brainstorming about for 2014 is a challenge to limit the number of items I acquire, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what parameters I'd like to have.  Can you help?

For starters, what's a good number?  100 is the first thing that jumped in my head, but I think one day I'd like to own only 100 things, or less.  And if not 100, what's a good number?

What about items that Tom and I would share? What about gifts that I don't actively choose to get for myself (I have a habit of regifting or donating gifts immediately, though)?  What is the time frame for considering it an item--as in, what if I buy a book, read it and part with it two weeks later, did I still acquire it?  What about outside items like a tree because we buy lots and lots and lots of those!  What if we buy a replacement something--we know that we want a new dining room table but will get rid of ours, so does it count as an item?  How many things could I get rid of to cancel out accumulating an item?  What if I take 20 t-shirts and make it into a quilt-am I acquiring an item then?

Let me hear your suggestions!  I'd really love to hear them!

0 comments: